Monday, October 25, 2010

Engine Running Hot (click here)

For quite some time I had the 1966 classic VW Beetle's ignition timing set at 10 degrees BTDC (before top dead centre). I was advised that this was the correct timing to get the best performance from the engine by one of the local lads. The engine worked well at this setting. However it always ran hot. A hot running engine is a worry, but THE 66 was only doing short hauls around town and I wasn't over concerned. I eventually decided to return the engine tuning back to it's original specs and set the ignition timing at 7.5 degrees BTDC. Immediately the engine temperature dropped. I don't know the technical ins and outs of why the drop in temperature but clearly it was due to the fuel ignition. So, a good tip is the check your ignition timing and carburetter settings if your engine is running hot, and don't always believe what the local VW enthusiast (expert)  tells you - stick to the designer's specs.

No comments: